On the evening of July 17, 1944, residents in the San Francisco east bay area were jolted awake by a massive explosion that cracked windows and lit up the night sky. At Port Chicago Naval Magazine, 320 men were instantly killed when the munitions ships they were loading with ammunition for the Pacific theatre troops mysteriously blew up.
Public access to the Memorial is by advance reservation only, Wednesdays-Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. (allow 1 and a half hours).
No access Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’‘s Day, and during Concord Naval Weapons Station operations.
Reservations are required to visit the Memorial. All visitors are shuttled to the Memorial on National Park Service vehicles from the Concord Naval Weapons Station Identity (ID) Office.
From San Francisco, take Interstate 80 (Bay Bridge) to Hwy 4 East...from Berkeley & Oakland, take Interstate 80 West to Hwy 4 East...from San Jose or Walnut Creek, take Interstate 680 north to Hwy 242. Exit at Port Chicago Hwy North. First stop sign, turn right. First building is ID Office.